Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Story Time Part 27

The story starts HERE

King of Dreams
by
Harry N Down

The place soon quietens down and after a few stragglers leave Sunni closes up. The staff clear away everything and set up for the next day.


Sunni comes and plonks himself down. “A profitable night. I will be sad to see you two leave.” He speaks with sadness in his voice. A genuine sadness, as if he is going to lose members of his family.

“More profitable when we are gone.” I mention. Nodding at the dozen empty bottles in front of me.

“HA! Family my friend, Family is always welcome. Besides, I have had no trouble since you two have been coming here.” He gets up and brings over some more drinks.
He opens a beer and says. “Here’s to swimming with bow legged women.”
I raise my bottle and we toast to good friends and happiness for all.

Unexpectedly, Shallini asks. “Will you live here if you marry Chetna?”
“Why do you ask?”
“Just wanted to know. I like to know things.” Shallini doesn’t even look up from what she is doing.
“You will have to go soon. You will need to get a goodnight sleep for when your girlfriend comes.”
“Oh really? I thought you were my girlfriend?”
“Steve, you are such a Dumb Male!”
“We should really be going Steve.” Kev’s voice is somewhat distorted.
“Hmm, Yes I think we should. Do you want me to call you a taxi?”
“That would be good.” Kev replies.

“KEV, you are a TAXI!” I spurt out.

Everyone laughs. Shallini giggles and then bids us goodnight.
Just as she is about to go, she turns to me and kisses my cheek and says.
“Steve, could you give this to Chetna for me? Please, do not open it.”
I look at her with a puzzled gaze. “Sure, no worries.”

Taking the envelope, I place it in my jacket pocket. ‘Goodnight Shallini. Sleep well my princess.”
“You too Steve, My prince.” She giggles as she heads through the room into the kitchen and off to her bed.

“This table will be here for you on Monday evening. If you come early it will be OK.” Sunni tells us as Kev and I are about hop into Kapil’s cab. Sandy comes out. She hugs me. “She will love you I am sure.” She whispers in my ear. I notice tears in her eyes. I wink at her. She smiles and slowly lets go of my hand. The cab heads off and we yell out our goodbyes and a few other things that I won’t mention.
I look at Kapil. “You look like you need a drink mate.”
Kapil does not even take his eyes from the road. “You two would drive anyone to drink.”

He roars with laughter.
“Well we are going back to the hotel and they do have a bar, so technically you are correct.” I assure Kapil in a somewhat inebriated state.
“Ah yes, but who is driving who?” Kev says leaning over to the front seat.

We all laugh. Kev leans back in his seat. “God am I tired.”

To be continued .................... HERE

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...