Monday, April 8, 2019

The Silence



The silence was eerie, no wind, no noise of any kind.

As I walked along the pathway my footsteps interrupted the silence of the evening. It was as though each step taken had increased in volume, creating a shattering noise that echoed as the final rays of daylight faded and the stars glistening brightly took centre stage.

I stopped to listen for any other noise; I could hear my heart pounding as blood pumped its way through. My breathing became rapid as I took a step forward and heard the crunch underfoot.

The moonlight made silhouettes of my surrounding. I could see shadows of various things. Another step forward and the dried leaves crumbled once more under my boot.

I stood there in the moonlight sweat beading, then trickling down my face.


Listen, just listen said the silence.

Author Steve Boddey

17 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh Steve, this is very cool. "Listen, just listen," said the silence. I love it. What happens next? Great hook!

Whitesnake said...

Sherry ................ It has a lot to do with my anxiety and what goes through my head. Trying to clear your mind and have some peace.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The suspense is thick in this one. You describe the narrator's panic attack.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Out of curiosity, would you mind pointing out the magical realism?

Whitesnake said...

Magaly ............. magical realism is losing oneself in a story that explains what I go through although the reader may interpret it in a different way. "Just lose yourself, watch the band kick back and play." For a short time I can go to a place and lose myself. Believe me THAT can be magical.

Magaly Guerrero said...

What an interesting notion...

KB said...

I can relate. Nicely done xxxx

Whitesnake said...

KB Thanks babe and you have and are living through it.

Whitesnake said...

Magaly ............ it is for those that have neither been there!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Love that ending.

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love the idea of silence having a voice, and I think anyone who experience fear or anxiety with things in their life can relate to this greatly. Wonderful writing Steve!!

Rommy said...

Given the fact your handle is Whitesnake and there's a picture of a road, Here I Go Again started playing in my head.

Susie Clevenger said...

Silence can speak so loudly if we listen. It is certainly eerie when it commands you to listen.

Sumana Roy said...

When a simple footstep shatters silence in noise one can gauge the depth of silence. Listening should be the only doing word. Nice.

Mary said...

I can really feel this one! Nice write.

Myrna R. said...

I love the ending. It leaves the mystery to unfold in your mind.

Vicki said...

Silence can be loud and eerie, nice write.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...