Monday, May 18, 2009

A womans view part 5

That afternoon we sat out on the deck eating crackers and cheese.
He gazed across at the mountains in the distance.
Their snow capped tops enchanting him. The forest that surrounded the place a rich green in colour captivated his thoughts.
I had a few chores to do and he was more than happy to help.
He seemed to enjoy feeding the chickens that I allow to roam free during the daylight hours but lock up at night. He collected the eggs they had laid and cleaned up their roost.
He seemed to fit in. It almost appeared as if this was the life he had wanted.
I found myself watching his every move.

Good grief, have I become desperate or what?
Have I craved company for so long that now I have someone to talk to, some one who understands, have I become obsessed?

We watched the sun disappear over the mountains.
As we talked about an assortment of things I realised that I had taken a lot of what I see everyday for granted. I haven’t (as he put It.) taken time to smell the roses. To appreciate what I have and how lucky I am to live in a place that has a beauty few will ever see. He saw beauty, kindness and love in almost everything.

It was quite a pleasant evening so we decided to stay on the deck and listen to music.
Neither of us were hungry. We just grazed the whole evening. Drinking was more our thing that night.
I guess as we settled in. As we were getting to know each other, our minds were trying to fathom what we would do next. My mind was constantly wondering what he was thinking, what is going through his head.

“You know people are funny creatures.” His voice soft yet meaningful.
“They fear things. They are sometimes afraid to live in fear of being hurt or having their lives muddled.”
“Putting up barriers to protect themselves from pain and sorrow and heartache.”
He looked over at me with a smile.
“Those that are close see it as strength. The barrier I mean. They think that we are strong. A pillar that holds everything together, yet nothing could be further from the truth.”
“Another drink?” he asks. “Yes please.”

As he went inside I started to realise he was opening up.
Maybe I could find the answers I have been looking for somewhere in his words.
He passed me another drink and sat himself down, leaning forward, his eyes focussed on the darkness of the night.

“People take what you say and twist it to suit their own ends. It gives them a sense of power. With that comes the abuse and an attitude of Third Reich proportions.”
He pauses to take a swig and purses his lips.
“You can’t fight it. You can’t control it. So you let it slide. There is no point in even trying to understand it. It is what it is. Nothing more nothing less and it is who these people are no matter how hard they try to pretend otherwise.”
“Acceptance of it. Realising that people will be hurtful, spiteful and complete assholes about things. Yet there are those that are quite the opposite. Those that love and care. Sometimes too much. You just never know until the time comes to show your true colours.”

At that moment I just wanted to hold him in my arms.
There was no sadness in his expression. Yet his compassion for those that had gone before came through. It radiated around him.

The howl of a lone wolf broke the silence that had come.
“I think that is what we all are looking for. Somewhere we can call home.”

After that he changed subjects and laughter once again ruled our conversations.
He told so many stories. I was intrigued by his knowledge and wisdom. He belittled it as if it were more of a hindrance to his life than a blessing.

It was about 4am before we went to bed.
He slept on the sofa and I retired to my room.
Picking up my book I read a few chapters and heard the lone wolf call out.
“Somewhere to call home ‘I whispered.

A womans view part 6

Whitesnakes do it better ......... In the still of the night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...