Wednesday, October 6, 2021

I can't wear a mask.



When Covid first came along I thought the NZ Government did a good job initially however somewhere along the line the wheels fell off and the Government fell into the land of Nod.

I can't wear a mask for medical reasons and those reasons are between my GP and me. I should not have to explain or justify it to anyone else but alas I cannot go anywhere without the stigma of ridicule and finger-pointing. So I stay home and become frustrated and irritated with life and the world we live in.

Not anymore! 

The Ministry of Health website Mask Exemption information is a complete joke. It has/had a PDF to download (an A4 size)  I am exempt from wearing a face-covering that anyone can print out. A more professional thing to do was/is to have your GP authorise the Ministry of  Health to supply a Mask Exemption Card with your name on it. All you need then is some ID if asked.

The one place I didn't expect to be harassed about not wearing a mask, is the hospital and by harassed I mean constantly being told by the charge nurse they had no knowledge of any Mask Exemption Card even when I produce it. I had left my GPs exemption letter at home and ended up catching a cab home to get it all while my wife was on a heart monitor.
We had come to the hospital via ambulance (whose staff had no problem with me not wearing a mask).

I made a complaint and although apologetic they claim to be following the procedure/policies of the Health Board who had no knowledge of Mask Exemption.
I find that very hard to believe as my GP  had given me a mask exemption letter, my local butcher was aware of the mask exemption card and I didn't have to cancel my optometrist appointment as they too were aware of mask exemptions.

This experience has triggered my memories of bullying in the workplace which resulted in my inability to work. So now I relive those times over and over and yes I am seeking help but due to lock-down that is a few weeks away.

I have a Mask Exemption card and my GPs letter of exemption which I now carry in my wallet and if I want to go somewhere I call ahead and ask if it is ok to come.
I shouldn't have to go through this and I  dread to go think how many other people have similar experiences.

Author
Steve Boddey






1 comment:

KELLY ANN said...

In the UK, the only place we still have to wear a mask is on the transport to and from dialysis and at dialysis itself. Four hours later, believe me your dying to take it off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...