Monday, February 4, 2019

Children's Hour Poetry

Childhood Dream
Between the dark and the daylight
When the night is beginning to lower
Comes a pause in the day’s occupations
That is known as the Children’s Hour
All fed from the table,
Given such wondrous treats,
Washed really clean,
And smelling so sweet.
 
Giggling and laughter,
As bedtime draws near,
Awaiting  father's story,
Of adventure and fear.
Children sitting with their cocoa,
Father sits in his chair,
He begins a new story,
The children all stare.
Mother comes to join them,
Her chores now all done,
They all sit together
All listening as one.

Father, does all the voices,
As the adventure pours out,
Running and chasing,
Even romance is about!
Alas there is always,
An end to this time,
Off to our beds,
To rythmn and rhyme.
I look back at these times,
All the troubles and strife,
It was the magical stories,
The best time of my life!

Whitesnakes do it better ..............when the children smile

Poetry Pantry for all poets.

17 comments:

KB said...

Those were the days but now we get to act like big kids together xxxx

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

true, stories could do big wonders.

lovely piece.

Unknown said...

Wonderful! What a warm, loving picture you paint. Glad I came and read!

Anonymous said...

Magical story times are for sure the best times of this life.So good to read you again.

Anonymous said...

Sweet.

Nanka said...

This poem was as lovely as the wonderful tales told.
It was very magical and yet so down to earth.

Mary said...

I agree that those are wonderful times! And special times!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This sounds like a golden childhood......reminds me, too, of reading to all the small voyagers I have spent time with.........a truly beautiful read!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah, thank you for reminding me of similar times in my own childhood.

ZQ said...

I had a lot of fun reading this : )
ZQ

Colleen Looseleaf said...

I can see this as a set up to a movie. I read all the Hobbit, Narnia and Mossflower books to my sons when they were little, voices and all. Gollum was fun.

Whitesnake said...

Thank you all for your comments.

Gillena Cox said...

The family Storyteller goes way back to the candle light days. I guess now more kids go to bed after playing their games on a kindle

Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

Much💟love

Rommy said...

My little ones are teenagers now. I miss the days of reading The Monster at the End of the Book, and later the Harry Potter series, out loud to them.

kaykuala said...

It is so wonderful to know of quality time well-spent. The art and appreciation of storytelling is a rare phenomenon in current households. All the youngsters are now glued to their gadgets happy being busy on social media. Great thoughts Whitesnake and beautiful rhyming!


Hank

Myrna R. said...

Those were wonderful times indeed. I never experienced it personally but did have fun reading to my daughter and getting her ready for bed. Such a sweet time of the day.

KB said...

I used to read myself bedtime stories when I was supposed to be asleep xxxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...