Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Story Time Part 5

The story starts here
King of Dreams
by
Harry N Down

Up, shaved showered and dressed I sit under the veranda drinking tea. I gaze around the small courtyard that is part of my home. I think about how fortunate I was to be able to buy this place at a bargain price.

Here on the esplanade at Glenelg, 15 minute walk to Jetty Road and all of its shops and boutiques.

Depending on my mood, I have the choice of watering holes. The Jetty Hotel, Pier and Pines (where I first met Kev) of the bar in the Ramada Hotel. There are of course other places but these three are within walking or staggering distance of home.
I had wanted to buy an apartment at the Marina above all the restaurants but the price was to high and really speaking they are just a box with a shower and toilet. Here, I have a garden (although not big) an outside courtyard for entertaining or as I am doing now relaxing and soaking in the sea air.

There are three bedrooms one bathroom and toilet a kitchen/dining area and a lounge room as well as a carport. I have little clutter. I decided I wanted a clean fresh open feel about the place so furniture is simple, basic yet functional. The electrical furniture consists of a Marantz HiFi system that is hook up with the TV, DVD and PC and of course, there are the Bose speakers that bring anything you play through them to life.

Fortunately, the design of this place has given the lounge room plenty of space and feel about it.
So even with the bookcase in there, it is still very spacious and open. Why they call it a bookcase I will never know. Mine only has a few books that I do not read but is full of Cd’s and DVD’s and the discs I use with the PC.

The kitchen has a country feel about it. Clean and fresh! There is a pantry and plenty of cupboard space for pots pans and plates and all the other kitchen paraphernalia that one rarely uses when living alone. There is plenty of bench space and Kev often comments on how a true chef must have designed the kitchen area.” It is so workable.” He often would say.
Gas hot top and oven, a microwave, fridge/freezer, a kettle and an espresso coffee machine.
I do not drink coffee much however my sister visits and loves coffee so it gets a fair work out. Kev loves it to so ultimately it was or rather is a good buy.

All the bedrooms have built in robes and have queen size beds with bedside cabinets. The bathroom is also clean and fresh. The shower is separate from the bath. There is a separate toilet and the laundry is small compact but workable.
The sliding doors lead to the courtyard from the dining area. The kitchen overlooks the dining area and the six seater oak table blends in well with the feel of the kitchen.

The courtyard is 3/4 s under cover. I have a six seater out door setting a bar fridge and a gas BBQ. Kev brought one of those gas heaters that take the chill off the night air. Many a night we have sunk a bottle of red or a port and some times a whiskey.
There is a small grass area and along the fence line, I have flowers growing. I normally plant whatever is in season and whatever is simple to maintain.
There is also a water feature that seems so in tune with the pot plants giving the area a tropical rainforest feel.

Nighttime is when the area seems at its most elegant. The lighting is soft yet not to dark. The yard becomes a place of meditation a place to relax and cast off the troubles of the day. I even hooked up some speakers so I can listen to whatever I want when I am out there.
I spend a lot of time out here. It is a place of solitude yet it is also a social paradise when the need arises.

Fresh sea air makes for a goodnights sleep.
The front of the house is fenced has lawn and a couple of trees that shade it from the setting sun.
The view across the esplanade is breath taking at times. The waves rolling in, the white sand, the oceans foam and the washed up sea weed give the impression God was an artist.
Kev and I often stroll along the beachfront after an evening meal. The fresh sea air always makes for a goodnights sleep, even in winter.

I work part time at the shopping mall as a security guard. I only do 20 hours a week. It keeps me active and the extra money tops up my investment earnings. In addition, I get to mingle with people so I do not become a complete recluse. I actually enjoy it!

“When you gonna get ya self a woman Steve?” Kev would ask. All too frequently for my liking.
“Ain’t one good enough or stupid enough!” is my usual reply.

Kev had never paid me rent. We share the cost of bills and shopping. It never occurred to me to ask him. He was a mate and mates do things that normal friends would never be able to understand.
He did however do something’s that at first seemed odd. He brought me clothes and started coaching me in how to look after my appearance. I often baulked at this.
My wardrobe had changed. I found myself constantly being careful as to what clothes I chose to wear.

“Christ!”
“I’m not trying to turn you into a homosexual but a metro sexual! How ya gonna pick up women looking like the ass end of a baboons bottom?”

To be continued .............here

2 comments:

KB said...

Baboons bottom? Have you been talking to Coco again? xxxx

Alice Audrey said...

I was thinking metro sexual right before you said it. Fun.

Hey, you do realize that each week gets a new Serialist post, right? Check Great teaser. My teaser is here for this week's.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...