Sunday, April 12, 2009

Scary ..... Easter Sundays Thoughts.

It seems that sometimes ideas do not flow as easy as I would like.
Over the past month or so I have been concentrating on finding new friends and work in a new country.
I have been somewhat particular as to who I befriend. Finding work however has been a slow process as the majority of companies work on Fiji time!
Fiji time means getting around to it when you can.

I have found a job; I just have to go through all the red tape before I can start. Changing over my licence from Australian to New Zealand seems to take a lifetime although in reality it has only been a week.

Today is Easter Sunday and from a religious point of view it maybe special to some but I have lost the value of its meaning.

Shaz’s family will be around this afternoon for our first family get together at our place. Most of the preparations are done so it is the final bits and pieces that need to be put into place that are all that is required.

I have to admit I am pretty lucky that Shaz’s mum is one very thoughtful, kind and understanding person. Not many men can say that about a mother in-law.

We were talking on Saturday afternoon whilst having a beer and a wine about different foods and things we had as kids. As we all started discussing the delicacy’s’ that we enjoyed I found myself remembering stuff that I thought were long forgotten.
It seems they were hidden just underneath a mind full of current happenings.

Two slices of bread, sliced into squares, add sugar and milk. That was breakfast.
Two sausages one scoop of mashed spud peas or beans was lunch.
Two slices of bread, one smeared with jam (Pineapple jam it was cheaper) the other placed on top that was dinner.

When I got to high school dinner improved, two slices of toast with fried tomatoes dumped on top. I can remember working at the local service station and on my weekly wage of $3 I would go to the bakery and purchase two crusty bread rolls. My mum would slice them in half toast them and dump fried tomatoes on top. I would have one and my mum the other.

I would often watch my mum cooking and ask stupid questions like “How much of this or that do ya put in?” Her reply was always the same. “Just enough to make it properly”

As I am approaching the half way mark of my life (unless I actually do live forever) I have been pondering what have I achieved. Have I improved myself, have I just lived my life as my mother and father did. Have I boldly gone where no-one has gone before or have I just followed the genetic line of my forefathers?

Looking back, I have done quite well. I have achieved quite a bit and as I enter the next phase in life I am finding that I too old to die young.
So sometimes looking back can be scary, sometimes looking ahead can be scary.
Sometimes you just have ta grab hold of ya balls and take that leap of faith.

Whitesnakes do it better ……. When ya ready and willing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a shame ya find easter sunday a bore...
Take Care and god bless..
Mike

Rosey said...

Now let me get this right. You are approaching the half way point in your life yea? Whatever you are on, I wanna bit!

keith said...

The only way is up, or so they say. Go boldly my friend.

quin browne said...

your mum was right.

Tumblewords: said...

There is that age when looking back is danged near as scary as looking forward... I think I know what age that is. :) Good post!

Jay said...

Life is scary in all directions if you let it be.

Sounds as if you're doing pretty well!

floreta said...

absolutely. life is all about a leap of faith.

paisley said...

i'm scared too....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...