Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Story Time Part 8

The story starts here


King of Dreams
by
Harry N Down



I take back the ticket asking if the guy is pulling my leg. He assures me he is not.
I sit and sip my beer. You have to be kidding; there must be some sort of mistake. My mind races and the stress levels increase.
I am in a state of shock. Half believes, half not. It cannot be true surely, there must be a mistake.

“Kev, hurry up and get here will ya.” I say quietly.

Crystal comes over and asks if I am ok. I nod and ask her to get me a bottle of beer and get rid of the pint. I am shaking and cannot hold the glass steady.
“What’s up luv?”
“Just won lotto.” I say not thinking about what I am saying.
“Oh darling, that is wonderful!” she smiles and tells me she will see me after she has finished work. “If you are still here.” She laughs. “You have made my night.” She kisses my cheek and heads back to the dining room with a spring in her step.
Brad the manager comes over with another beer. “I just heard the news. Congratulations!”
“Let’s try to keep it quiet eh?” I reply somewhat abruptly.
“Sorry Brad, I just can’t believe it.”
He pats my back and says he will join us for dinner and that all drinks for tonight will be free for me. “Kev as well.” I haphazardly blurt out.
“Sure Steve that is what I meant.”
“Please, please keep it quiet will ya? At least for now!”

Rockstar by Nickelback
 “No worries, mum is the word.”
I sit there like a stunned mullet. Just shaking my head in disbelief. Wondering what to do next.
I check my watch. 7pm, another hour and a half before Kev will be here. God, what will I say how will I tell him? What will be his reaction? He will get half we share everything.
God I can’t believe it, I am truly shocked and stunned.
I go up and check my Keno ticket. “You have won $500 mate. Must be your lucky day. You know you still have another 10 games to play?”
“Err, yes umm err ok.” He gives me the ticket with the remaining games. “Have a good night.” He beams from ear to ear. I just nod my head. Saying nothing.
I put the money in my wallet and head back to the gaming room. The machine I like playing is free and I get on it. Lighting up a smoke and sit looking blankly at the screen.
Oh well, better enjoy the moment I think to myself. Calm down and breathe. Take it easy and talk to Kev when he gets here. Everything will be ok. Enjoy the moment.
A huge smile comes to my face as I start thinking about the possibilities.

Seven Million Dollars! My God!
I put money in the machine, swig on my beer and play.
Life is getting better and better.” Come on Kev will ya hurry up.”
My face is alight with joy and excitement.
The machine lights up. I have just won another $200. “Bugga!”
“Steve, Kev is running late. He won’t be here till 9pm,” Crystal whispers over my shoulder.
“Brad has spoken with Isaac and John. They will slap up something for you guys.”
“Oh, Brad will be joining you. He has something he wants to talk to you about.”
She flashes that smile of hers.
“Crystal, would you like to join us for dinner?” I ask her, just as she is about to move on.
“Steve, that would be lovely, yes I would love to.” She now has a double spring in her step.
I glance at my watch, 7:45pm. A huge sigh comes from my mouth.

“Another beer sir?” “Err yeah I guess so thanks.”

To be continued ............ here

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...