Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Story Time Part 3

The story starts here

King of Dreams
by
Harry N Down

Kev did bring people home who stopped the night but it never bothered me. The one thing that did change in the house was the fact we ate well, the wine rack had only the best reds, and the fridge always had an ample supply of different beers.
One evening Kev asked me if I like to travel. I told him I had thought about it and actually confided that I would like to go and visit some of my contacts on the internet.
“Why don’t you then?” He would say. “I won’t go alone. I would need a companion, someone to take me home when I have over indulged in the finer things in life.” I mockingly replied.
“Besides I would need to win lotto to do what I wanted.”
“We could go together.” Kev stated.
“Something to consider. Something to think about.”
I opened another beer, lit another smoke and wondered about the possibilities.


One night I had arranged to meet Kev at the pub. We had decided that we would have dinner there and then play the pokies for a couple of hours before heading home. This week was Kev’s week off. He planned to rest up and just lay around chilling out.
He arrived with his friend Jake. I called him “Jake the Snake” not because he was sneaky of sly but simply because he reminded me of a wrestler I liked many years ago called “Jake the Snake Roberts.” Jake actually did have similar looks.
We sat and talked before heading to the dining room. Kev reminded me to pick up a lotto ticket. “If we are going to travel the world, chasing all your women we will need plenty of money.” Kev laughed.
“There was me thinking you were gay.” I remarked.

Lady Luck

Jake seemed a bit out of place with our banter. My guess was he was not use to the mateship Kev and I had nurtured. When the bottle of Hardy’s Cab Sav was opened, we had a toast to mates, friendships and long life. “Up ya Bum!” I toasted Kev. Jake was mortified.
“Chill out, Steve is fine.” Kev told Jake. “Come on enjoy the evening Jake, Life is good, it is all good!”
The whole evening went well. Jake became more relaxed and we talked about anything and everything. We went into the pokies and had some more drinks and a bit of a flutter. Quite by accident, I played a 5-dollar bet on one machine and ended up with 11 hundred dollars.
On the way out, I stopped and picked up the lotto ticket and we headed off home.
I made coffee for the two of them and Kev did a platter of nibbles.
I headed off to the computer and started it up. “Going to chat with them chicky babes eh?” Kev always stirred me up about it. I just smiled and grabbed a beer from the fridge.
At this time of night, Sandra from Minnesota would be awake and she always checks her emails before checking the chat line.
I have known her for ages and we have been through a lot together. I popped into her life when her mum died and 2 weeks later, her grandmother passed away. I spent many late nights chatting with her and helping her deal with her grief. If I had the opportunity, I think I would have liked to date her. Long distant relationships were not her thing so we would flirt with each other and leave it at that. There is however a very deep closeness, which few people share.
Sandra is living with her partner Mark, she has 3 kids, works part time, has blonde hair and the most beautiful green eyes that would melt your heart. She laughs and everyone else laughs. Sandra always has a special place in my heart. I called her once, just as the second plane ploughed into the second tower on Sept 11th. That day is etched in my mind forever. Being so far away from it kind of makes one feel immune to, or oblivious to tragedies like that. It is a shame really.
Sandra comes online and we chat about things in general. All is well with her and the family. She has a part time job and has to rush off. She sends her love, sends hugs, and kisses.
I check out other websites as I go about my business from news to sports.
No one else comes online as I start to feel tired. Kev and his mate have already hit the sack and have cleaned up. The house is spotless. I look around as sit in front of the PC and think how lucky I am to have good mates and a home that is clean neat and tidy. I have a lot to thank Kev for. I wish sometimes that I could show it.

To be continued ...........here

1 comment:

Alice Audrey said...

Um... what are pokies?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...