Monday, November 19, 2018

Sunday Story Time "The Beginning"

Once uon a time .........
While trying to get me motivated to write more regularly we have decided that I should start putting up some of the stories I have written over the years.
Two in particular have been sitting on the shelf waiting to be finished and it is one of these I will be posting here. The idea is to publish a part each week until I get to the end and hopefully this will get me on track to finish it.

This story is about my hopes and dreams for the future as I drifted in and out of depression and lived with a serious work injury. Looking for answers to love, life and trying to find happiness.Obviously, there are true parts and of course fictional. All characters are real or as in Kev's case a number of real people rolled into one.



Kevin “The Spud “Dawson always had a knack for coming out with quirky lines.
“Don’t be afraid of you sexuality” he shouted out once, whilst running butt naked through the front bar of the pub.
Those words were my first introduction to Kev’s world of witty lines and behaviour.
We had met at the pub years ago. I had been drinking alone in a pub full of people and Kev just rocked up and planted himself in front of me.

“What’s up with you mate? No one should be drinking alone!” His beaming smile made you smile to. “Geez mate, anyone would think ya wife had gone and done a runner.”
The look on my face must have said it all. “Christ mate! Hang here a mo will ya?”

I reached for my smokes and lit one, then slowly drank my beer. Kev was back in a flash with a couple of beers and told me to come with him to sit in a quiet part of the pub and have a bit of a chinwag. Kev was about 5 foot 10, same height as me, and a bit more solidly built than me. His face was one that told many stories. He was well tanned and his hair was silver from what I thought was years of stress and worry. “Just getting old mate!” was all he said. He had many jobs in his time, was well travelled around the country. The only odd thing about him was he was always well groomed and dressed very well. It was not the sort of thing you expected from someone who spoke the way he does. He always wore nice clothes and still does. Always presented him self-well. Kev oozed confidence and it was infectious.
He had been married twice no children and was working as a head chef at one of the cities fancy restaurants.

He sat and listened to me ramble on about how the wife had up and left. I spoke of all the excuses she gave for leaving and how she had never been happy married to me all of those years. How she told me she had wasted her life with me. Kev just sat there nodding not saying anything other than to ask if I wanted another beer.
When I had finished he leaned back in the chair and told me what he thought.

“Mate, I’ll tell ya straight, your wife has been cheating on you and those excuses are convenient for her to justify the reason for leaving.” “If she lays the blame on you then she won’t suffer the guilt trip, and I think if best you have your cry and then pull yourself together and move on as soon as ya able mate!”
What he said ended up being the truth. It took a while for it all to sink in but I got there in the end. Kev and I became close mates from that day on.

To be continued Here.
Cheers Whitesnake

3 comments:

KB said...

I'm so glad you're sharing your stories. Keep'em comin xxxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alice Audrey said...

Whitesnake, this is great. I'm so glad you're willing to do the Serialists meme. I'm looking forward to more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...